A 500 word essay is one of the most common kinds of essays. These essays are given to students studying in high school and their aim is to help the students develop their writing skills.
It is not an extensive kind of essay writing but it is equally important as any other assignment. It is usually very easy to write. The student does not have to research a lot for it and he can write it within an hour or so.
Still, many students find it difficult to handle. This blog will help you get done with your essay in less time and with more efficiency.
A 500 word essay is a short but important academic assignment. It helps a writer present his views and researched facts in a coherent and structured manner. Usually, it is given to high school students because they are learning to write. This helps them get better in their academic writing.
High school students are just starting out and many of them could not write lengthy and in-depth assignments. For them, it is necessary that they learn and perfect the skill.
Short 500 word essays help them in doing it properly and perfectly. Every type of essay could be written as a 500 word essay. Some common forms of essays include;
Your teacher can ask you to write any kind of essay.
A 500 word essay length is even shorter than you think. If you are working with a single-spaced essay, it will not take more than a page for it. For a double-spaced essay, it will not take more than one and a half pages.
It usually has five paragraphs. Since it follows the usual essay structure and format, it has one introduction paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a conclusion paragraph.
It is important to follow the word count limit when writing this kind of essay.
Therefore, be careful when you write it and make sure that you follow the word count guidelines properly.
Formatting a 500 word essay is simple and there are no special requirements for it. It resembles the format of a short essay and each paragraph is no more than 75 to 125 words long. It has about 3 to 5 sentences and it is an easy task.
Here is how to format your essay;
An Introduction Paragraph- It is the very first section of an essay and therefore, the readers would read it before reading the entire essay. It engages the readers and helps in establishing the thesis statement.
However, when writing it, make sure that you do not give all the information here. Be brief and be interesting and know how to start an essay on a strong note.
Thesis Statement- It is added after writing the introductory paragraph. It is what sets the tone for your essay and helps the readers in knowing what to expect from the paper. A thesis statement should not be more than two to three lines long and it should not be too detailed.
The Body Paragraphs- The body paragraphs are usually three to four in number. It is the most extensive part of an essay. But it must not be more than three to four in number. It is because you need to write everything in the same 500 word limit.
A Conclusion - The conclusion is the last part of an essay or paper. Since it comes after the entire essay has been completed, it must not be too detailed. Learn how to write a conclusion properly before starting with it.
Do not add any new information here and stick to the information that you have explained in the body section of the essay.
Ideally, your essay must be close to the 500 word limit. In the case of writing a scholarship essay, see what the guidelines are saying.
If they say ‘under 500 words’ then you can end your essay before completing the 500 words. The essay format or the format of the research paper depends on the instructions given by the teacher.
Here are the steps to writing a 500 word essay;
1. Understand the Guidelines Properly - Before writing the essay, it is important that you understand the essay guidelines properly. Read what your teacher has told you about writing the essay.
Did he mention the Arial or Times New Roman font? Did he mention double-space? Once you understand the requirements you can begin writing the essay.
2. Brainstorm and Make a List of Ideas - Brainstorm carefully and gather a list of as many ideas and topics as possible. Once you make the list, you can choose the ideas from it.
3. Choose an Engaging Topic - If your teacher has not given you the topic then you can choose a good and engaging topic for your essay.
Make sure that the topic is interesting and relevant to your field of study.
4. Conduct Thorough Research - Research the topic and gather relevant and in-depth information about it. Make sure that you collect the information from reliable and credible sources only.
5. Create the 500 Word Essay Outline - Once you have all the sources and information at hand, you can create the outline for your essay. Make bullet points under each section and mention what you will add to it.
6. Begin with the Writing Process - To write the essay in less time, it is better to write the main section before. Once you have penned down your ideas, you can start writing the introduction, thesis statement, and conclusion. This will help you in getting everything done on time.
7. Revise and Proofread - Once you are done writing a 500-word essay, revise and proofread it properly. Make sure that your essay is completely flawless and perfect.
Following these steps will help you write and submit a high-quality essay within the given deadline.
Here is a sample 500 word essay;
Here are some topic ideas to get you started with your 500 word essay;
Writing a 500 word essay is not as difficult as many students may think or believe. Just a little practice and you are good to go. If you need help, you can always hire our essay writer. We have a team of academic experts that specialize in helping high school and college students.
Contact us to learn more.
© 2022 - All rights reserved